Grey Bruce Health Services - Meaford
The Meaford Hospital was built in 1952 and expanded in 1995.
In 1998 the Meaford Hospital joined with hospitals in Markdale, Owen Sound, Southampton, Lion's Head and Wiarton to form the Grey Bruce Health Services (GBHS). All sites are active components and play a vital role in providing local health care. The Meaford Hospital site continues to develop its rich history as a highly respected hospital.
The Meaford Hospital is a community hospital with:
- Busy O.R.
- Active 24-hour Emergency Department
- 15 in-patient beds
- A dedicated multi-disciplinary staff committed to providing excellence in care
- 9 family physicians
- A vibrant and successful Foundation
- A dedicated Auxiliary of over 80 volunteers.
As a community hospital the main focus for Meaford Hospital is to provide primary care to people in the surrounding area. Most secondary care medical service is provided at Owen Sound for residents of Grey and Bruce Counties.
It should be noted that:
- Meaford Hospital experiences 10,500 ER visits/year and 7,500 clinic visits/year.
- A recent study indicated that Meaford Hospital has one of the fastest emergency responses to treatment times for a hospital of its size in Ontario
- Meaford Hospital has one of the most active operating rooms of any rural hospital in Grey and Bruce, conducting approximately 1,000 plus surgeries/year.
- Meaford physiotherapy service see approximately 2500 outpatients/year and the same number of inpatients.
- The Meaford Hospital Lab performs, in excess of, 536,000 tests/year (1,300 plus visits) and D.I. (Diagnostic Imaging) sees approximately 8,200 plus patients/year.
- Next to Owen Sound, Meaford Hospital offers a wide range of services in the region, including day surgery, inpatient care, 24/7 ER and clinics in dermatology, urology, plastics, psycho geriatrics and orthopedics.
- Meaford Hospital offers full service access to Lab and D.I., physiotherapy, diabetes education and mental health counseling.
- Home and Community Support Services conducts a day away program at the hospital twice weekly